Friday, February 19, 2016

Bread Machine Gluten free Bread

 
 
I am always experimenting with ingredients and flours to find distinctive breads, and I recently was reconnected to my Breadman Ultimate Plus bread machine, so I've been making a new loaf every couple of days. 

This loaf came out with a flavor and texture half way between sandwich bread and zucchini bread.  Can't wait to try it with sunflower butter or in my French toast!

I have two basic flour mixes I work from, and for this I used my Quick breads one - 1:1:1 sorghum, rice, and tapioca.  In this batch I made a 50/50 white rice/brown rice mix for the rice portion.  Then I used a variation of my GF Sandwich bread recipe adapted for a bread machine.

Ingredients:
2 ½ cups flour mixture
2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon yeast for bread machines
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1 ½ cups Almond milk
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
3 eggs
1 ½ Tablespoon oil
 
Preparation:
Mix the first six ingredients together.  Bread machine yeast is recommended as a dry ingredient.  I don't use the paddle in my machine because it is a pain digging it out before the bread bakes, so its important to mix everything well before.

Add the vinegar to the milk and let sit a few minutes.  I did use the vanilla sweetened version here, and it turned out to be a great addition with this flour mix.  Then add oil and eggs, mix with whisk.  add this to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Scrape into bread pan in the machine.

I have been cooking it on the gluten free cycle, which include a  two stage mixing, about 20 minutes  to rise, and then a 52 minute baking time.  Dark crust setting, 1.5 lb. loaf.  Next time I am going to set it to bake only with a 30 minute delay start and then bake at least an hour.  The slightly denser dough doesn't get baked enough to suit me otherwise - but it's great as toast!

No comments: