Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Another Gluten Free Muffin Recipe


As I've posted before, I've been tinkering with a basic gluten flour mixture that I had used as a base for my Sandwich Bread.  And having success with both the bread and with pancakes made using it, I decided to try adapting a basic muffin recipe.  This one happens to be dairy free also.  The original recipe came from a 1992 version of the Betty Crocker's Cookbook, and I used the Popular Muffins version.  Below is the recipe as I modified it.  I did use olive oil this time, I was out of applesauce.

*GF Flour mixture:
3 cup brown rice
2 cup tapioca starch (you can use cornstarch)
1 cup glutinous rice
1 cup garfava flour
1 cup fava bean flour
1 cup masa harina

Muffin Ingredients:
1 egg
1 c vanilla almond milk
1/4 c oil
2 c GF flour mixture*
1/4 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t xanthan gum
1 t salt
1 c sprouts (this time I used fenugreek sprouts & a 1/4 t dill seeds. I'll leave the dill out next time!)

Heat oven to 400°.  The recipe calls for greasing bottom of muffin cups, I didn't have to.  I also used both a medium muffin pan as well as a muffin top pan.  I wanted them for breakfast egg sandwiches.  In both cases the muffins either fell out of the inverted pan or popped out with light pressure from a fork.

Beat egg; stir in milk and oil.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until completely moistened.  The original recipe says batter should be lumpy, but I never have good luck with a GF batter that isn't reasonably well blended.  (The lumps usually come from the starch not being fully blended.)  Then stir in sprouts. 

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  As with most gluten free baked goods, remove immediately from the pan to cool.   The recipe says it yields 12 muffins.  I actually made a double batch, which gave me 12 regular muffins and 8 muffin top muffins.

I can hardly wait to try this with blueberries or the cranberry-orange version!  And sorry, no picture, I leave that to my gifted co-blogger!

No comments: