Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Blueberry Corn Muffins

The corn bread recipe makes a really good blueberry muffin with a couple of quick adjustments. Use the basic recipe and because I like these sweet, I add 1/3 cup more sugar to them. But it's only a suggestion. Just at the end of mixing the batter I add 1 cup of fresh (washed and cleaned) blueberries. I add 5 to 10 minutes on the baking time.

These have passed the "average eater" test. Nobody would have guessed they're gluten free. In fact, I brought them along to a lunch I was invited to. The hostess had encouraged people to bring something to share and I felt it would get me past the awkward "no bread for me, thanks anyway" thing. Everyone tucked in to the blueberry muffins with great delight. I find that grad students usually have no time to cook. However I noticed one person at lunch was politely avoiding the muffins. I casually mentioned that these were egg, dairy and gluten free. Her eyes lit up; "Really? You bake gluten free? I've been GF for two years now and I don't know anyone who bakes like this."

I have a friend who went to Culinary school. She said she didn't want to be rich like Bill Gates, but wanted to make people happy one cookie at a time.

I know what she means.

No comments: