Sunday, June 03, 2007

Pineapple and Carrot Cake

I'm cleaning out an old file, and I want to keep this recipe. I made it for my friend's wedding reception back in 1990. It is very moist and increases easily.

1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts*
2 cups grated carrots
1 1/4 cups sunflower oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups honey
11 ounces crushed pineapple**
3 eggs


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 13 x 9-inch or 10-inch springform pan.

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in separate bowl. Pour wet into dry. Turn on electric mixer and mix well for 2 minutes or until well blended. Pour into pan.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until done. When cool, spread with icing.

Icing:
1 cup cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
6 Tablespoons honey

Blend the ingredients in a bowl of food processor until smooth. You can add a cup of chopped walnuts. But I like to sprinkle them over the icing or use them to coat the sides of the cake.

*ingredient substitution: you can use grated unsweetened coconut, but I find it very hard to find.
**ingredient substitution: canned mandarin oranges can be used. I just don't like them.

No comments: