Sunday, November 26, 2006

Cranberry Relish

I simply can't eat canned cranberry sauce; too stodgy, too sweet, too stale. I like fresh.



1 package of fresh cranberries,
1 organic orange
1/2 cup sugar
Grand Marnier (or Cointreau or Triple Sec - Bourbon will do in a pinch)

Pick through the cranberries, discarding any soft or badly bruised berries. Wash. Also wash the orange and slice into segments, removing any visible seeds. Coarsely grind the berries and the orange in a meat grinder. I use an attachment for my Kitchen Aide mixer. Stir the sugar into the ground fruit mixture. Start with less sugar and when the relish has aged in a refrigerator for a day, taste the relish and add more if you think it is necessary. Many times the orange is so sweet, there isn't need for much more sugar and the liqueur also adds sweetness. Generally I have found a half-cup to be just right. Add about 1/4 cup Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur (if you wish, but this may be omitted.)

By the way, I really love this relish on my pumpkin or pecan pie. It adds a tangy element to the pie.

If you double this recipe, you'll have enough for Thanksgiving dinner and Cranberry Coffee Cake.

No comments: